Why I got into Digital Marketing in the first place and what my experience has been like so far
Why I was intrigued by social media in the first place
2 Years ago, I started a company called Tiny House Belgium. The one-and-only reason that company never lost any money was social media. In fact, social media is the reason I started THB. By posting photos and videos on Facebook of me building my own Tiny House, people started following me, asking me questions about how to do certain things and eventually people started asking if I could build a Tiny House for them.
One year after launching Tiny House Belgium and reaching some level of success with it, I arrived at a crossroad where I had to decided to really build out THB into something sustainable or go for my real dream of moving to NYC, because obviously, doing both wasn’t possible. So in April 2017, I went to NYC for 6 months, I just got back a month ago. You can read all about that in the article below, but this is where I discovered Marketing. more specific digital marketing.
About 3 months into my trip I made the decision to really expand my knowledge of the social media space, reading books, going to Meetups, watching videos and most of all, building my own Personal brand. Because I can’t legally work in the US, I had to wait until my return to Belgium to actually start working for clients but for the last almost 2 months that’s what I’ve been doing.
Now, What did I learn so far?
This is a video I made about a week ago, pretty much going over all my experiences so far. But I’ll give it to you in short here:
Most people that want to spend the money to pay for a social media consultant are not excited about social media themselves.
- If you can’t create the content yourself (as a consultant) nothing happens.
- Most companies only want to ‘get’ something from social media, while the only thing that works on Social Media is giving.
- As a one-man shop, their is not much you can do.
While this may all sound very negative to you, the amount I’ve learned in these last few months has been very valuable. I’m a very open person. When I have an opinion about something, I will tell you about it :) And by being this way, the people around me find it easier to give me advice, criticism, tips… And that’s how I learn.
By providing my services, meeting new people and being in a different role, I’ve learned a whole bunch about business, marketing and mostly myself. As I mentioned in the video above, after providing digital marketing and social media solutions to companies, these companies started asking me for different kinds of advice on topics I could help them in even more.
Even-though I’m not an expert in the other fields where they asked me advice about, they found value in it and it allowed me to explore different aspects of running a business. I’m sorry I’m very vague here, but basically if I have to tell you what these last, even 2 months, have been like for me, I would say this:
“I know, and I’ve known for a while that I have this drive in me, this ‘thing’ that pushes me in the right direction. For the longest time I tried to determine where this drive comes form, but in the last few months, I’ve learned to just blindly trust it. No questions”
Every time I follow this ‘drive’ good things happen. And every time I don’t, bad things happen. It’s as simple as that. I can’t really explain it. Sinds I dropped out of high-school, now about 5 years ago, I’ve been following this drive. Back then, it was very hard for the people around me, and for myself, to understand why I did certain things, and why they always seemed to turn out well. I guess the only thing that changed since then is that I got better at explaining things. I got better at sharing what I feel and explaining exactly what I’m doing.
The best way to give you some examples of what companies started asking me for, let me share my agenda with you:
- Friday Nov 24: I introduced a company with around 45 employees to Slack. Slack is a B-to-B communication platform to streamline communication between employees, make document sharing easier…
- Wednesday — Thursday Nov 22/23: I attended an educational program made to help recently graduated college students bridge the gap between college and the Entrepreneurial world. I attended because they want my input on how they can improve the program to attract more, and mostly, the right kind of people.
- Wednesday Nov 15: I talked to one of my clients that had plans to organize an event in Ghent. They had to cancel the event and asked me for input on how they could improve their message and the way the shared that message.
- Thursday Nov 30: I made a website for the the company my dad works for on Squarespace Inc. After hearing my dad complain about how difficult it was to change something on their current website I started asking him more questions about the site: How does it work now? Are you happy with the way it looks?… After hearing his response to all these questions I decided to built a website for them, show it to them, and let them decide if my site was better or worse. They decided that mine was better, easier, and 2 weeks later they bought the site from me and it’s online now! www.thefuturegeneration.nu
By-the-way, this last one is a great way to get your first clients! I do this all the time. If you have time but no money, this is the best and most effective marketing strategy!
So this feedback allowed me to grow and change the direction I’m taking in my career. In the last 2 years, I’ve been true countless experiences like this and I think this is how the rest of my career will go until I really find that one thing I want to do for the rest of my life ;) Although, does that really exist?
What I’ve shared in this article is what I call, Education. This is the way I learn and progress and I have no plans making any changes to this. At least for a few more years!
“If I think about what I’ve done in the last 2 years, I can only imagine what will happen the next 4.”
If you enjoyed reading this article, please give it a big 🙌Thanks for reading and if this was helpful in any way, please share it with a friend, or leave a comment down below! Find out more on www.louisdekeyser.com
Follow me on: